Elodea Plants Going Brown

Author Topic: Elodea Plants going brown  (Read 7747 times) 18 replies

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Elodea Plants going brown
« on: March 28, 2019, 07:23:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, hope everyone is okay.  Not been on for a while but fish tank has been fine over the past few months.  However, I do seem to have a problem keeping plants alive.  I recently bought 3 new Elodea bunches and they've been fine for a few weeks, but just noticed this week that the lower parts appear to be either dieing or some algae is starting to grow on them (Photos attached)  The top parts of the plants have sprouted new growth and they look fine, but the lower parts appear to be struggling on all 3 of the new bunches I've bought.
Thinking it could be light not getting to the lower parts of the plant or maybe something more sinister?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Elodea Plants going brown
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 07:26:47 PM »
If they are new plants with new growth I would not be concerned. You could simply remove the bottom section and just let the new fresh growth grow. The plant is very possibly just adapting to the new conditions it finds itself in. This is a similar process to well known crypt melt.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 10:05:49 PM »
Great, thanks Matt, will keep an eye on it over the next few weeks.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
Just a quick update on my Elodea.  There appear to be what I can only describe as a black fur growing on some of the plants.  (Not on other strangely enough).  As you can see from the photos.  This fur appears to be growing on a few of the ornaments and snails too.  Is this common or anything to worry about?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 07:24:50 PM »
It's a type of algae (any can be quite invasive) but don't panic as with a bit of swift action, you can nip things in the bud no problem. Remove affected stems/leaves. And clean off ornaments. If you can't remove the ornaments to clean them, do so with a siphon running nearby as you clean. Have you changed anything recently lighting, ferts, water change regimen stocking, etc etc.?

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 10:18:05 PM »
Last Fish where 4x Sterpai Corys on 2/2/19, but did add the Elodea in the past few weeks, however, I've seen the "algae" on some of the ornaments before then and just took them out and scrubbed them clean.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 03:32:44 AM »
You are quite highly stocked now. 93% from a quick check on the community creator. Have you tested you nitrates recently? What is your water change regime?

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 04:22:14 PM »
Yeah, still check my nitrates, ammonia, etc and they are all at similar levels.  7.4 PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 5ppm Nitrate.  I change approx 30% water and hoover gravel etc every week.
There is one other change which I forgot to mention.  I added an external filter (Fluval 206) on 10/March/2019 approx 4 weeks ago.  I've left both external and internal filters running and was going to take advise on how long before I can remove the internal filter.  I believe you can stock slightly higher with an external filter.  Could that be causing an issue?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »
The best way to change from one filter to another is to put all the old media into the new filter and use new media to fill the gaps. If the bioload stays the same there is no reason for the bacteria to colonise the new filter except very slowly.

I know the CC says that you can have more fish with an external - that was recently downgraded from a lot more fish to a few more fish. But even that is too much in my opinion. The concept that more filtration means more fish is outdated. Provided the filter is adequate for the tank, adding more filtration makes no difference to the amount of fish it will hold. Stocking a tank is more about the tank itself, and which fish are in the tank rather than the filter.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks Matt/Sue, I'm due to do my weekly water change tomorrow, so will remove the internal filter and move the media into the external.  I'll hook the stems which have the algae on and only put back the clean ones. I'll also remove and scrub the ornaments.  I'll see how I get on over the next few weeks.
Photo attached of my stock level @ 82%.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 07:28:15 AM »
@Bazza2000 I assumed an internal filter in my calcs.

Let us know in a couple of weeks how things are looking, happy to advise from there.

I would recommend pushing your weekly water changes up to 50%. I have had much greater success with my tanks since I started doing this  :cheers:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 10:00:29 AM »

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »
Thanks again.  Just done a 50% and cleaned everything (no washing up liquid though  :rotfl: ) took out internal filter media and placed in external.  Will let you know how I get on.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 12:56:46 PM »
Been a while since my last post, hope everyone is doing well!!

I continued doing the 50% water changes each week, however, lost about 2-3 fish various species over the few weeks I'd been doing the 50% changes and after reading a few posts and taking advice from the LFS reduced water changes back to 30% and had no further loss for the past couple of months.  Kept taking readings a couple of times a week and all levels where still extremely low.  Still got the black furry algae growing on the ornaments so have to keep cleaning them every couple of months, but my main concern is the fact that the plants just don't seem to survive more than 2-3 weeks (photo attached of the latest problems)  The Elodea eventually had to be removed due to the furry algae and replaced with the plants you can see in the photo.
Just looking for some advice based on the state of the plants as to where I can go next.  Gonna pull these out with todays clean  which will leave me with none.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 09:38:26 PM »
I would have kept that plant. It looks like the old emersed growth had melted away and there was good healthy submerged growth coming from the base. The plant is a sword and is a root feeder which will benefit from some nutrients at its base. Root tabs are a great way to provide it with these nutrients.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 10:07:50 PM »
Thanks @Matt will order some root tabs and see if things improve.  Any recommendations on the best ones to use?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 10:28:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Its not something you need to be particularly picky with to be honest... they are all largely similar.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 08:03:04 AM »
...but my main concern is the fact that the plants just don't seem to survive more than 2-3 weeks...Just looking for some advice based on the state of the plants as to where I can go next.

Hi Bazza,

What plant fertilization do you have in your tank? And what about the lighting?

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 08:13:06 AM »
Thanks @Matt will order some root tabs and see if things improve.  Any recommendations on the best ones to use?

Hi again,

Just seen the above post. Take a look at:

https://thenutrientcompany.com/collections/aquarium-fertiliser/products/tnc-plugs

JPC

Tags: elodea brown 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Elodea Plants going brown"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 05:18:20 PM
by steven
10 Replies
Last post October 15, 2016, 08:17:53 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 08:49:26 PM
by Lynne W
6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 04:50:32 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 09:39:30 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2018, 05:28:19 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post January 30, 2019, 08:39:59 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: