Author Topic: Buying fish Online/Via Courier  (Read 5611 times) 8 replies

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Buying fish Online/Via Courier
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:07:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Evening All!

I was wondering how many of you use/have used in the past any online/couriered fish vendors ie. you don't see the fish you are getting until they arrive? Are there any who come fairly well recommended? Any success/horror stories?

Discuss.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
Re: Buying fish Online/Via Courier
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »
Hi Paddy.
I was looking for a very particular fish that I want to get in a few month. I knew I hadn't seen it in any LFS, so turned to ebay and found a company called Kesgrave Tropicals. I have had a look at a few places (tropical fish forums, etc.) and the majority of reviews are very good. They do next day delivery as standard, and are also happy for customers to collect. They are based in Ipswich, which is just over an hour away from me, so I would collect if I bought anything.
Obviously the downside is that you don't see the fish before you buy, but it would be worth checking out the returns policy.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:47:25 PM »
Just checked - Kesgrave tropicals charge £15 delivery (less for things like shrimp) and have a 14 day returns policy, but customer has to pay for returns when cancelling an order.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 09:54:39 PM »
Cheers LF, I take it you are around either the Norwich area or London-shire? The postage seems to be fairly commonly priced around the online services so I would need to be guaranteed an overall good deal on price with a reasonable returns policy before I even considered it! But thanks for sharing what you have found.

I - like many others I imagine - would rather drive a distance to view the fish I would end up with. But there are merits to using vendors like this I'd imagine.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 10:17:43 PM »
I'm in Cambridgeshire, so not an unreasonable drive, and one similar to that done for the little axolotls (from Essex) as I specifically wanted coppers, which weren't sold locally.
I think that we would all like to see the fish before we buy, just to make sure that they are ok, or to pick the most robust/best looking ones in the tank.
The fish I want was seen on the MA site, but never in store, so next time I'm there I'm going to ask them if they can get hold of them. I would prefer that because I'm happy dealing with that shop, I can see the fish before I buy them, and it's only a 15 minute drive.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 06:44:51 AM »
The price for delivering fish is high because only licensed couriers are allowed to transport live animals. In addition, the fish in their bags need to be in special polystyrene boxes to keep them warm.
When I stocked my tanks the first time, I bought from a wholesaler, over 200 fish arriving all at once! The prices were about a third of shop prices and the fish were at least as healthy as shop bought fish. They arrived all OK, no problems with any, all disease free. There was a minimum order of £75. However, I believe they no longer supply to anyone except shops, glad I bought when I did as it saved me about £300.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 08:19:53 AM »
Hi Richard.
Thanks for the information. That is a significant saving. Good to hear that the fish were all in excellent health too.
The supplier I found did seem to have a very good reputation across several forums (not including ebay or their own site).
I might ask MA how much it would cost to get the fish I want and compare the prices. I guess the MA prices would have to be quite low, particularly considering I wouldn't be paying the shipping costs if I collected from Kesgrave Tropicals.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 10:37:54 AM »
MA can get any fish from their 'list', but whether they will get a particular species for one customer is down to the individual manager. You can always ask.

I have asked shops to get fish in for me. But it does depend on what the wholesaler has. Some fish are seasonal so you would have to wait till the right time for the wholesaler to list them.
And just because a wholesaler says they have them doesn't mean they do. A shop once ordered some fish for me and when they came in they were a different species labelled as the ones I wanted.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 02:34:55 PM »
Have just got back from MA. They said they've had the fish in stock previously and would look into whether they could get hold of it again. I've told MA I wont be able to take the fish for a few months as I will need quite a healthy growth of algae in the tank for them, so they are just going to enquire as to the availability and price. At least I know that if they can't get them I will be able to get them from Kesgrave.
 :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Buying fish Online/Via Courier"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
19 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 11:58:48 AM
by ColinB
1 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:08:17 PM
by Resa
13 Replies
Last post June 05, 2014, 06:00:18 PM
by ColinB
11 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 01:18:29 AM
by AndreaC
7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2017, 09:10:42 PM
by mizuti
7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2019, 12:49:58 PM
by Kwhite
0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2019, 12:16:24 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: