Author Topic: 1st Trop Co. Order  (Read 5112 times) 6 replies

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
1st Trop Co. Order
« on: April 29, 2020, 11:47:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I was looking for a new topic to start a conversation and I saw this one and decided to share my experience. I ordered 7 Pygmy Cories from Trop Co. The website is pretty straight forward and the process of livestock is clear from the offset. I liked the feel of this website as I had done research and the 7 day money back guarantee put me at rest as that was the longest I could find from any retailer (doesn’t mean they are not out there as they most likely are).

The £15 delivery charge is for named day delivery which I thought was great until weekend delivery was no longer offered. It just meant I’d have to be home on said day which for me is worth the day off work. The parcel was actually delivered earlier due to the lockdown coming into force. I got all the emails and conformation this was happening which again was a blessing as I was off the whole week anyway. They arrived 26/3 in a warm sturdy packed bag. I counted and received an 8th Cory which was shear luck owing to their size.

Into quarantine they went for nearly 4 weeks, in that time I lost one which took me to 7 again and I couldn’t find any reason and all others are still loving life today in my tank.

In short would I order from then again? Yes definitely. Only negative for me is no Saturday delivery and a £5 charge if order under £20 but then I’m nit picking with that one.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Re: 1st Trop Co. Order
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 10:12:13 AM »
Hi @LeakysLab

Thanks a lot for your recommendation of The Trop Co. If I am reading their website correctly, they appear to be having a problem with their courier at the moment. But, The Trop Co. certainly looks interesting. I shall explore their goodies in more detail.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 02:49:09 PM »
Thanks for this helpful feedback, @LeakysLab
I hope your pygmy cories do well and will follow their progress with interest.  (If I could offer any advice on the basis of my own not-very-good experience of keeping them near the start of my tropical fishkeeping journey, it might be to add more to have an even larger shoal, if you have the space for them.)

Yes, @jaypeecee, APC is the one DEFRA-registered courier for transporting livestock, and a responsible retailer will use them if couriering fish.  Due to CoVid affecting/delaying postal and courier delivery times quite significantly, companies that were mailing out livestock had responsibly taken the decision not to do so until the situation settles given the adverse (and potentially fatal) impact on the fish.  Their approach in itself gets a bonus point from me before I even browse their website.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 03:27:53 PM »
Yes I believe there is major disruption with APC and Trop Co at the moment. No different from anywhere els I’m afraid.

I am hopefully to add 3 more Cories taking my total to 10 which would be my max.

Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline KAB

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 08:49:49 AM »
Just to second very positive experience with Tropco who have started deliveries again during the lockdown, although they are temporarily closing the website when orders get backlogged so as to clear orders. I have ordered Zebra Danio and Silver Flying Fox Crossocheilus reticulatus. Delivery ia APC has been spot on, the fish are well packaged, with heat mats. All have arrived well & remain healthy apart from one Sier Fox who died within 24 hours. Tropco refunded me with no hesitation the next day.

They hae a wide collection of fish, are very friendly on the telephone & seem to have the welfare of fish as a priority. I will order from them again. I am new to fish, hae not found a LFS I trust so would rather order from Tropco.

Japonica Shrimp (12) - Zebra Danio (6) - Sterbas Cory (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (9) - Siamese Flying Fox (3) - Assassin Snail (4) - Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (1) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Endler's Livebearer (5) -

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 08:24:27 PM »
I had my first order from trop co a couple weeks ago now with mixed feelings.

Ordered and never got a call to arrange delivery so I emailed them and they said they had tried to call but I never had a missed call...nevertheless arranged delivery and I asked to have my order before 2PM that day as I had to leave for work, even though they said the deliveries are all day they agreed that wasnt a problem.

My delivery of 2 x Venezuelan black corydoras and 8 x galaxy rasbora arrived at around 1PM packed well etc...the rasbora seemed lively and are still doing well, however the 2 Cory's looked a little lifeless not moving much etc. Acclimatised them and popped them in, one cory hid from the off, the next day I found him dead :( later that day the second cory died. My rasbora are still happy and healthy a couple weeks on.

Contacted them and got my refund for the 2 Cory's, they said they had learnt a lesson with Cory's that week and think they may have got too warm with the hot weather we had been having :/ I felt totally guilty that I had ordered online and put the fishes through that stress and it has put me off getting online again to be honest. Just one of those things I guess I got unlucky as they do have alot of good reviews!

My local fish shop seems to have better stock now since coronavirus has eased so probably avoid buying online again wherever possible!

Just thought I would share my experience :)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 06:28:59 PM »
Interested to know folks' thoughts on the packaging. I've read a rather unfavourable comment elsewhere on how fish are sent without a polybox, the cardboard and paper provides little insulation or protection, and heatpacks are not very effective given the packaging and are placed directly on the bag of fish. Not sure how up-to-date this comment is on the transit methods but would be interesting to know folks' experiences both of this company and if it actually differs from other companies that sell fish online.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "1st Trop Co. Order"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 03:16:05 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 02:52:18 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 05:00:31 PM
by AdyDnt
2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2020, 10:01:00 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: