Please Help With My Fish Tank Community Question

Author Topic: please help with my fish tank community question  (Read 18485 times) 106 replies

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: please help with my fish tank community question
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
And this

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Angelfish (2) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Golden Nugget Plec (1) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Rummy Nose Tetra (3) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Cherry Barb (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) - Japonica Shrimp (15) - Marbled Hatchetfish (3) - Otocinclus (6) - Rosy Tetra (5) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (6) - Assassin Snail (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (3) - Peacock Goby (3) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Rainbow Shark (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2016, 04:17:26 PM »
And this

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Angelfish (2) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Golden Nugget Plec (1) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Rummy Nose Tetra (3) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Cherry Barb (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) - Japonica Shrimp (15) - Marbled Hatchetfish (3) - Otocinclus (6) - Rosy Tetra (5) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (6) - Assassin Snail (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (3) - Peacock Goby (3) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Rainbow Shark (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2016, 04:18:13 PM »
And this

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2016, 04:19:12 PM »
I meant this one

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2016, 06:07:19 PM »
Sorry to hear that a harlequin has died - is that the missing one that you've found dead or is it another one that has died?

To summarise your test results, PH is 8.0, ammonia is either 0 or 0.25 (the former, I think), nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 0. You have to give the bottles (the second one, I think) and test tube a really good shake with the nitrate test as 0 is not a "normal" reading, so I'd advise repeating that one.

If the ammonia is 0.25 rather than 0, that could possibly the result of the addition of the cherry barbs, and the filter possibly not being sufficiently able to cope with it, or it could be as a result of the dead or missing harlequin(s). It might also account for why one harlequin went missing and one has died.

If the ammonia is 0, there may not be an explanation for the dead/missing harlequin(s) other than that the fish have been through a lot of stress in recent weeks before arrival at the shop and the stress has finally taken its toll, unfortunately.

Others may have other suggestions.

Offline Sue

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2016, 07:06:22 PM »
One dead new fish out of six is not uncommon. If you mean a second one has died, that is less common.

There is always the possibility they were sick when you got them. Fish are very good at hiding the fact they aren't well as that makes them easier for predators to pick off, and other members of the shoal will also likely pick on sick fish so they don't attract predators to the shoal. So it is in a fish's interest to look fit and healthy right up to that last minute.

Did the dead fish show any symptoms eg white spots or botches, disintegrating fins, bloated body, bloody streaks on the fins or body? Though a fish that has been dead a while may have been partially eaten by its tank mates.

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2016, 11:39:29 AM »
All the bottles were shaken well and left for the time it said an what is a normal nitrate  and nitrite level then?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2016, 11:41:49 AM »
Nitrite should be 0 - anything above that is toxic to the fish. It's normal to have some nitrate - usually 20ppm although many folk have trouble keeping it under 40ppm due to their tapwater having high levels. What do you get for nitrate when you test the water straight from the tap?

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2016, 11:54:40 AM »
Just done a test straight from the tap and this is the nitrate

Offline Sue

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2016, 04:00:29 PM »
That is a good nitrate level for tap water. The UK allows up to 50 ppm, and a lot of people have almost that level in their tap water.

Nitrate in an aquarium should be kept as low as possible, and with your tapwater level, you should aim to keep it below the 20 ppm that fcmf said.
Nitrate is the end product of the nitrogen cycle. Fish excrete ammonia, one set of bacteria turn that ammonia into nitrite; another set of bacteria turn that nitrite into nitrate. In fish tanks, there are no bacteria to remove nitrate, though plants do use it (and ammonia) as fertiliser. This is one reason we do water changes, to remove nitrate and other things like hormones secreted by the fish.
When a tank is fully stocked, nitrate should go up between water changes by no more than 20 ppm, and since your tap water is virtually zero, that means the maximum it should go up between water changes is from 0 to 20. My tanks are fully stocked, and nitrate doesn't increase by that much.
Because your tank is lightly stocked at the moment, the fish you have won't make much ammonia for the tank size, so you won't get much nitrate. As you get more fish and your stocking level reaches the maximum, you should see some nitrate at the end of the week just before a water change.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2016, 10:35:36 PM »
Blimey serious grats on the zero nitrates, I'm well jel  ;)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »

And to think I get pulled up for the odd grammar error..... at least I speak recognisable words! ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »

And to think I get pulled up for the odd grammar error..... at least I speak recognisable words! ;D

I knew what I meant  :P

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 09:07:56 PM »
Having a bit of a crisis with the harlequins 4 in total have died but my water levels are still all at 0.
I have found my missing shrimp he randomly appeared again and all of my cherry barbs are fine it's getting to the point where I'm finding 1 dead harlequin a day so please help

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 09:23:55 PM »
And are lead plant weights safe for an aquarium as I've just bought some to hold my air pump under the gravel as it keeps popping up

Offline Sue

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2016, 09:36:59 PM »
Generally lead that is used to weight plants down should be removed so I wouldn't use it in a tank. I hope you don't mean you have the air pump inside the tank, just the air stone or some such  ???

If the cherry barbs are OK I would suggest a batch of sickly harlequins. Did you get the barbs from the same shop? if you did, what were the harlequins like in the shop tank? If they were from a different shop maybe go back and see if the shop's harlies are OK.
And as the shrimps are OK there is nothing wrong with your tank. Shrimps are more sensitive to iffy water than fish are.

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2016, 09:45:14 PM »
So don't put the lead in and both the harlequins and barbs were from pets at home they seemed fine in the tank there and we're very active... but there still very active here and I find it odd as I only seem to be loosing the females I had one male from the start and he's fine but I've been getting the dead ones replaced as they were all under warranty but there all been female and I just keep finding them dead bobbing round the bottom of the tank I've checked my water and so have pets at home and it's all come back fine? The dead fish have no indication of disease so I have no idea ... I'm not over feeding them  so I just can't understand it

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2016, 10:09:18 PM »
Really upset to hear of your troubles Jack, it must be really disheartening for you. As Sue suggests you may have a sick batch of harlequins... Chances are they wouldn't have been in pets at home very long, I believe they have a quick turnaround of stock. I do wonder what they do with unsold stock???

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2016, 10:11:01 PM »
It is not uncommon for fish to show no symptoms of disease. Your water tests are fine, and confirmed by the shop, so it kind of has to be something with the batch of fish. Whether they were diseased, or just stressed, you probably wont know. It's also possible that the male fish is from a different batch/delivery of fish, or it is just a coincidence that it is only the females are dying.
You may just have to console yourself with knowing that it is nothing that you have done.

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2016, 10:15:21 PM »
I honestly thinking that if they all die I'm not bothering with them again I will just stick to the barbs as they seem to be fine but the only thing is there not shoal ingredients they just stick to groups of two

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "please help with my fish tank community question"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 09:14:40 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 10:07:17 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 10:46:56 PM
by jesnon
7 Replies
Last post January 13, 2015, 07:34:27 PM
by fishcake76
2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2016, 09:55:04 PM
by AdyDnt
4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2017, 01:38:23 AM
by Hampalong
4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2019, 01:46:28 PM
by water watcher

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: