Water Chemistry According To My Seneye

Author Topic: Water chemistry according to my Seneye  (Read 8048 times) 22 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Water chemistry according to my Seneye
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 09:53:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Great seeing the theory playing out in practice there @Helen  :cheers:

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 05:40:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I used to have a Seneye four years ago. I have a few observations about this product that may (or may not) be of interest:

1 The Seneye consistently reads pH up to 0.5 high. I checked mine against a freshly calibrated Extech PH100 pH meter. I had several discussions with Seneye about this and their explanation was that my water was of low ionic strength. Not so! I maintained KH from 4 - 5dKH and GH around 10dGH.

2 My Seneye could not measure dissolved oxygen and, according to their current website, it is not included in their list of measured parameters.

3 Again, according to their website, the Seneye measures NH3 (free ammonia). And that's what I remember from the Seneye I used to own.

I fact, I used to have two Seneyes as the first one leaked. I was able to see tiny droplets of water inside the optical sensor! And, finally, the replacement Seneye started to disintegrate! Cracks appeared in the plastic body. And this Seneye had only ever been used in a tropical freshwater tank. It had never been cleaned with solvents other than water.

JPC

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 12:29:41 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thank you @jaypeecee  for your comments, they are interesting.

My responses are more for anyone else looking at a Seneye - they're not cheap, so it is good to have as much information as possible.

1. My pH does read higher than I expected, but I only using liquid tests as an alternative, so always assumed the Seneye was the more accurate. To be honest, I'd be happier if my pH was a little lower, so it's fine for me. And I do have low hardness.

2. I appreciate that the Oxygen reading given is calculated based on temperature, so I don't really use this. As far as I am concerned, the Seneye makes no difference to me on this because I didn't measure my oxygen levels prior to using the Seneye.

3. I've had a few discussions about this. It is different to the results from a liquid test, but I've not got it straight in my head what the difference actually means. For my use, I don't get too worried about the actual number (each slide seems to be to be slightly different calibration), but keep an eye on the trend, as long as it stays in the green "safe" part if the chart.

I've been using my Seneye for 3-4 years, on and off now. I noticed at the last slide change that there appeared to be water inside one of the sensors (only enough for me to keep an eye on, not worry yet).

The thing that I've found most frustrating is that my Seneye often loses data instead of uploading it, when it's been monitoring offline. I'm reluctant to spend more money on it (buying the server and Wifi units), but it bugs me that I have to leave the laptop running for it to work properly.

I went away for a week over Christmas and deliberately didn't look at the data online. There would have been nothing I could do if something went wrong, and it would have ruined my holiday if I new my fish were dying!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Water chemistry according to my Seneye"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 09:58:13 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2015, 09:06:38 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2015, 07:44:10 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post October 20, 2015, 11:41:53 AM
by Extreme_One
18 Replies
Last post January 04, 2018, 12:01:14 AM
by Helen
1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2021, 06:50:10 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: