Author Topic: How to care for a freshwater eel?  (Read 4251 times) 12 replies

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
How to care for a freshwater eel?
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all :)
The other day I agreed to rescue the few remaining members of my friend's tropical tank. As far as I was aware there were just a few tetras so it wasn't going to be a problem. As I was chasing the fish around the tank just now, I overturned a clay pot and underneath it was a freshwater eel which she had apparently totally forgotten about. I took it because I didn't want it to be killed, but I have absolutely no idea how to care for it. She assures me it doesn't need any care as she has never fed it anything special but that doesn't sound right to me. It's probably about 3-4 inches long and all brown. It's obviously really tough and I really don't think it'll be a danger to any of my fish. Even my cories will be fine, won't they? I will be very grateful for any advice

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: How to care for a freshwater eel?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 08:05:12 AM »
I can't think of a true eel which would stay that small, most of them are pretty big fish. Are you sure it's not a "black kuhli loach" (See here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pangio-oblonga/)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:06:47 AM »
That was my first thought too. If you decide to keep it, you need to be aware that they need a sand substrate as they like to burrow, and they need to be in groups. The reason it was hidden in your friend's tank (assuming it is a kuhli) is that it was alone. They come out more if there is a group of them.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »
Yes omg that's exactly what it is! I don't really want to go to a lot of trouble for a fish I didn't actually want in the first place. I've never seen them in the store but what are the chances my lfs will take it? I'd be happy enough to get it some regular kuhli loaches for company but if it actually needs a different substrate then I'd rather give it to someone who could care for it properly

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »
You could always ask your local shops, one of them should take it, probably for free. Few shops actually give you anything in return.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »
I might ask around this week. He is kind of cool and I've seen him swimming about a bit today but if i can't keep him happy the it's best I find him another home. I'm mostly just relieved that he isn't in fact an eel and that now I'm feeding him he isn't going to grow to four feet and eat all my fish :p

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 11:21:22 AM »
There aren't freshwater eels as far as I am aware. Eels are either marine fish or they are catadromous. This is a posh term for fish that live in freshwater but must migrate to the ocean in order to breed. Caring for them is problematic. They are aggressive, predatory, pugnacious and generally can grow to lengths in excess of 1 meter. They can survive for extended periods out of water as long as they can remain damp. They are experts at escaping from tanks. They are quite willing to take a piece out of any stray fingers that come within range and are generally pretty ugly things too.

About the only positive thing I can think to say about them is that they are delicious!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »
Lol Thanks Steve :) As a vegan I can't say I've evr tried eel, but we've actually worked out that I was wrong anyway and it's not an eel at all. It's actually a kuhli loach!

Offline SteveS

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »
Lol Thanks Steve :) As a vegan I can't say I've evr tried eel, but we've actually worked out that I was wrong anyway and it's not an eel at all. It's actually a kuhli loach!
Yeah, I know. I thought I would include some data about eels in case anyone else came to read the thread based upon it's title. Just for completeness sake!  :)

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »
Oh lol very cool :) Apparently some people do try to keep moray eels. I learned that today while trying to figure out what I had lol I personally can't see the appeal!

Offline SteveS

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »
I called eels "pretty ugly" above. Moray eels are marine eels on steroids. They are very, very ugly :yikes:! Personally, I would never ever keep one of these brutes. But "horses for courses" as we say!

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »
My mother used to watch those animal rescue type programmes and I remember one where someone had an eel in a huge tank in a cupboard. The RSPCA people refused to put their hands in the tank and had to wait for a fish expert to come and get it.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:56 PM »
That's quite funny. I come from New Zealand and eels live in basically every large stream there. At primary school camp once, we were woken up in the middle of the night by the teachers who were looking for a bunch of dads and some students and it turned out they had all gone eel fishing! One of the dads came back carrying this eel which in my mind was as big as he was, but actually it must have been at least a meter long with these massive teeth. Knowing those were in the water meant that most of us girls refused to swim for the rest of the week.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How to care for a freshwater eel?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 11:13:34 AM
by jesnon
15 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 12:18:56 PM
by Stefan
1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2015, 09:14:40 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 06:07:43 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2018, 09:43:37 PM
by Matt
20 Replies
Last post July 28, 2018, 06:33:43 PM
by Matt
11 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 08:02:06 PM
by Helen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: