Fish Food

Author Topic: Fish Food  (Read 6489 times) 9 replies

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
Fish Food
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:22:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

Ive been looking at different foods on ebay. "Real Bloodworm & Spirulina Granules" states that it may turn the water slightly red for a couple of minutes due to the "Real Bloodworm" ingredient. It actually warns that if you buy elsewhere and the food doesnt turn the water slightly red, then they have used cheap ingredients & flavourings and not real bloodworm.

Another "Spirulina & Multivitamins Granules" warns that it may turn the water slightly cloudy for a couple of minutes due to the "high mix of natural spirulina and vitamins used".

I need to order more food and thought Id get something different to give my fish a change.

What are your opinions on food turning the water red/cloudy? And the explanations for it?

The "Use By" date is 2015.

Thanks  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish Food
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 08:57:18 AM »
I don't know that much about food like this I'm afraid. I do know that when you thaw frozen bloodworm in water, the water goes red. I presume the bloodworm in that product has been ground up and made into pellets so the red that comes out of frozen bw would also be in the pellets.
And maybe the other one contains tiny particles within the granules.

I've started buying New Life Spectrum food. According to things I've come across, it contains less ash and filler than other flakes and pellets. I had to get it on-line as it's not stocked anywhere near me. But they are not the kind of special food like the ones you mention - I assume they should be fed as part of a mixed diet rather than just them.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »
Thanks Sue  :)

I assume they should be fed as part of a mixed diet rather than just them.

I was planning on several different foods in order to give a more varied diet. I feel sorry for the fish getting the same thing all the time - Im on day five of salad and fed up with it!

Im not sure what classifies a "mixed diet"?

I already have Hikari Micro Pellets, Nutrafin Max "for all tropical fish" and Tetra Pro ("Vegetable" for the mollies and "Colour" for the cardinals).  Last night I ordered Hikari Micro Wafers (hoping they're different to the pellets) and was going to order the two granules I questioned. That would give 6 different foods. Is that "mixed" enough? All foods seem to be packed full of vitamins and wonderful things that our fishies need! I will still give both tanks algae wafers and frozen food.

Thanks  ;)

Edit: An afterthought - Could I use the two Tetra Pro foods for both tanks? That would give seven different foods.

200 litre: Mollies, Otos, SAEs and Japonica Shrimp
240 litre: Cardinals, SAEs, Dwarf Chain Loaches, Forktail Rainbows, Threadfin Rainbows and Green Neon Rasbora

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:46:38 AM »
Those two foods would certainly give you fish plenty of variety with everything else you feed. I think 'mixed diet' means more than one type of food, which you are doing, but the bigger variety the better. Provided you can get through all the different packs before their use by dates.
I have got very lazy recently, and only have four types of food, not all to every tank. Oh, six if you count betta pellets and shrimp food.

The betta gets betta pellets, frozen live food and peas.
The 50l (male endlers, pygmy cories, cherry shrimp) gets New Life Spectrum flakes, powdered Nutrafin max bottom feeder tablets and Hikari shrimp cuisine; frozen live and peas
The 125 l (gouramis, apsitos, tetras, loaches, amano shrimp) gets NLS flake, NLS sinking pellets and Nutrafin max microgranules; frozen live and peas.

Not all at the same time  :)

My local shops only stock general purpose food by the big manufacturers. I really should get some more food like the ones you are asking about but I'm getting a bit paranoid about mail order after not getting the the Beta G (for the shrimps) and a heater bracket that went awol in the post last year.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 09:40:41 AM »

My local shops only stock general purpose food by the big manufacturers. I really should get some more food like the ones you are asking about but I'm getting a bit paranoid about mail order after not getting the the Beta G (for the shrimps) and a heater bracket that went awol in the post last year.

How frustrating Sue that your Beta-G still hasn't arrived. Has the seller said anything about it? If it still doesn't arrive and the seller gives you your money back the beta-G I got from TankScape arrived really quickly (it's currently showing as out of stock though =/):

http://www.tankscape.co.uk/Genchem-Beta-G-Lucans-50g-Shrimp-Molting-Aid

I must confess with all the overtime, sleep shifts and night shifts at work I've not been dedicating nearly enough time to my fishies and so when it comes to their diet they've only been having their standard flakes. How often do you normally feed your fish the other bits and pieces? My fish go mad for peas and brine shrimp. The shrimp have their own food too but I don't even know if they get a chance to eat it before my endlers!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 10:51:05 AM »
Thanks Sue.

I have just ordered 10g of each to try them out. Hopefully they'll be OK and I can order more. I will report back here if anybody is interested?

With the Tetra Pro, can I use the Colour and Vegetable for both tanks given the inhabitants? (numpty question - sorry  :-[ )  Im sure the cardinal tank will very much appreciate the Vegetable, but will the molly tank appreciate the Colour? Should I just try it and see?

You bought the Beta-G off ebay didnt you? You do realise that you can open a dispute for a refund if the seller doesnt co-operate? (sorry if Im telling you how to suck eggs!).

I always check the feedback of sellers before buying. For instance, the seller of the granules has only 99.2% score. Normally I would be very dubious about that, but having read through their feedback, the disgruntled people bought car parts off him! Everyone who bought fish food are very happy peeps with very happy fish. Of 1670 feedback, he has 12 neutrals and 9 negatives. I consider that to be acceptable - you'll always get some people complaining! And they're the people who bought car parts anyway!

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »
You can feed both food to all your fish. Just because mollies like their veg, they aren't exclusively vegetarians.

I bought the first beta g from plymouth discus and they only had one in stock. I had a messsage from ebay last Monday to say it had been posted. I thought you were supposed to wait 21 days before raising a non-delivery as that's the time Royal Mail make you wait? I'll investigate......
The second beta g is from tankscape on ebay - I had an email yesterday to say they'd posted it.
Both sellers said 1st class post.

Last year, a heater bracket never arrived. (I trod on the old one when cleaning the quarantine tank). That was from ebay too, but I knew the seller. She used to have a real shop in Darlington; I got my rio 125 from her. She refunded the money no problem.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 02:03:09 PM »
I've just received the second pack on Beta G. I'll do a water change tomorrow and add it afterwards.

I've also sent a message to the seller of the first pack.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »
I hope the first seller is co-operative but at least you can now get on with your water change  :)

I received the micro wafers today so I will try the fish on it for their tea tonight.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »
Had a reply from seller 1 (he's got 100% feedback) - if I still haven't had it at the end of the week, he'll "sort this out for you ASAP and put in a claim to RM".

Now I just have to see if the stuff works. Though I haven't had any more shrimp deaths for a few days now (unless they've been eaten before I could find them)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish Food"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 06:21:58 PM
by bferg4
2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 02:43:12 PM
by notungz
15 Replies
Last post February 26, 2017, 09:44:11 PM
by Littlefish
4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:16:48 PM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 04:39:17 AM
by CardinalTetraphilia
7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2020, 11:28:52 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2022, 10:52:07 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: