Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Matt's planning for 220 litre Aquaoak
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2017, 09:58:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
That looks great.  :cheers:
It's amazing how much time can be spent rearranging decor to get the right look.
I have used aquarium silicone in several tank, and it can also be used to attach polystyrene to the tank to avoid it floating.
I'm looking forward to seeing further updates.  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »
Looks good. I'm excited to see how it looks when it's planted. 😁

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Your right about time spent 'faffing' with layouts till you get them looking right @Littlefish.  Mrs Matt was not impressed!

Here we are now after today's efforts. Taking a break now to clean the car, do the washing... ...back to normality...

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »
Ooooh, I like that very much.  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2017, 07:51:11 PM »
Thanks @fcmf   :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2018, 08:57:55 AM »
Step 3 - Taking the plunge (After xmas)
Do another big water change on the current tank, using the removed water to begin to fill the new tank so I can plant the first plants (I know there's not much bacteria in water but I feel like I may as well). Some of which I am growing currently and some of which will no doubt be new.
Step 4 - Water tests
Fill up and wet test tank and filter. A quick water test to confirm suitability for fish.
Step 5 - Adding the first fish... and some plants and filter bacteria
The new filter will now be set up to include half the media from the existing filter (placed first in the direction of flow) and fresh media will be added to the 64litre filter.  I plan to move across the harlequin rasbora, cardinal tetra and galaxy rasbora first (about half the stocking of the 64 litre) as the hardiest and non territorial fish. 

I had a bit of down time yesterday morning so I tried to flesh out the plans I made above for getting the tank filled and stocked. It was quite a good way of doing it as I kept coming back to modify and improve it as the day went on and different things occurred to me... anyways here goes:

DAY 1
1.   Purchase sponge filter intake cover
2.   Remove some of the sand from the new tank where possible using a piece of paper to scoop it up
3.   Wash removed and additional sand thoroughly to minimize clouding
4.   Remove existing filter and take out filter balls, add additional sponge media and replace in tank
5.   Wash new filter media, add seeded filter balls first in the direction of the water flow, remove carbon, re-assemble filter and fill with warm, dechlorinated water, attach hoses
6.   Remove wood from tank, ensure no anubias remains attached
7.   Put old piece of manopi wood in right hand side of old tank to provide hiding spaces
8.   Trial wood and rock layout for new tank
9.   Transfer final layout to new tank and add sand, small rocks and aquasoil
10.   Large water change (no gravel vacuuming) on old tank and put this into new tank
11.   Add enough water to new tank to get the old wood underwater to preserve beneficial bacteria
12.   Fill inlet filter hose with water and turn on filter
13.   Check aquarium temperature and calibrate heater to match current tank temperature
14.   Leave overnight to check filter and heater running ok, no leaks, and temperature is stable
15.   Consider where tomorrow's plants are going to be best placed
DAY 2
16.   Skim off any floating aquasoil
17.   Water quality tests, both tanks
18.   Transfer plants which will benefit from more light in new tank. Put root tabs underneath them. (Keep floating plants and water sprite in old tank ready to transfer across in case of water quality issues, can also add old  sponge squeezings to new filter if required)
19.   Transfer hardiest fish using green net to heard them into a jug; harlequin rasbora, cardinal tetra - half the plants and filter media will have been transferred, this accounts for 21cm of 50cm of fish so 42% of bioload. For the old tank this means a 16% increase in 'stocking' which is within acceptable limits assuming half beneficial bacteria transferred. The old tank will require topping up at this point.
DAYS 3, 4, 5, 6
20.   Water quality checks, both tanks
21.   Go to Maidenhead Aquatics and purchase any appropriate plants, reserve any appropriate fish, hopefully including 2 rams
22.   Add corys (another 6cm so 29% increase to 54% of original stocking) if water quality ok
DAY 7
23.   Add further plants, celestial pearl danio and shrimp if water quality ok
DAY 14
24.   Add goby and otocinclus
25.   Go to Maidenhead Aquatics to purchase additional fish and plants
(Continue weekly pattern)

Any thoughts anyone??

Offline Sue

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I can't see any flaws in that plan - though I should warn you I did drink a fair bit of red wine last night and I'm not totally awake yet.........  ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2018, 11:28:26 AM »
 :cheers:
 :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2018, 03:18:11 PM »
;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »
Arrrgh, I can't wait to get started on this now...  :-\

Saturday's efforts will be limited though due to family commitments and Sunday's due to catching up on chores from over Xmas (including much needed maintenance on my 64 litre tank)... I really wanted get fish in it this weekend!... my list below looks like hours of work though and I'm just not sure Ill get it done... so getting day 1 complete will be the overall aim - even then I'll have to try and get the sand washing done in between times... oh to be retired... work shows no signs of slowing down next week either   :'(

How long will filter bacteria / plants last without there being fish in the tank do you think before they go dormant / die?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »
I am the same, @Matt. Reading about your tank developing has been helping me maintain patience with mine! I go back to work next week (school term times), so am trying to get everything done this week.

How much washing is sand likely to need? I've got my sacks of play sand in my car (not all intended for the fish tank; fish will have to share with the two legged pets!) and have a plan for how to get it washed with the limited number of buckets I have. Reading your post made me wonder whether it'll take significantly longer than I'd planned.

Do you have any macro fertilisers that you can add to the tank to keep the plants going until you can stock with fish? Hopefully if the plants are happy, the bacteria will be ok.

My tank has been pootling along at <20% stocked for quite a few months now (since at least July). I have minor algae issues, but no significant plant die off. I think the resilience is mostly due to the large number of plants (you'll be the same). What I'm not sure of is how much of that resilience is due to my tank being old and well established - which yours doesn't have yet. Or even how many nutrients are being put back into circulation with all my messing with the substrate.

Offline Sue

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2018, 09:20:43 AM »
The bacteria won't start to go dormant for at least a couple of weeks, and provided the tank has everything they need except food (wet, warm, oxygen) it will be at least a couple of months before they start to die. But the longer they are dormant, the longer it takes to 'wake up'. If it is so long that they are on the point of death it can take almost a long as a fishless cycle to wake up.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »
Thanks both, no need to worry as much as I was about the bacteria it seems then.  If I can keep the existing wood wet, and fill the tank part way, and not set up the filter or move fish over straight away it might give me more flexibility around things. I can then pick up the next few items over the next few days in the evening if I have to.

I don't use macro fertilisers but I'm thinking that if I transfer just my 2 corys first (easy to catch and only 6cm fish total) and some plants, they will probably be ok for a day without the filter if not fed as the volume of water will be so great compared to the volume of fish... ill try and avoid this though. The plants and filter will probably be fine without for a day anyways by the sound of it so maybe ill avoid this alltogether.

I have bought 'kiln dried' sand which does not appear to be particularly dusty, so I'm hoping it won't take long to clean, but people online with various different makes and manufacturers of sands have been washing them for hours just to get a cloudy tank anyway... I guess it depends a lot of the specific sand. 

There is a tip I know for adding sand to an existing tank though; if you put it in a water bottle, sink this with the open end up into the tank and let it fill with water then turn it over and very gently squeeze the sand out, the dirty dusty water will be left in the bottle and just the sand will fall out.  Thinking about it, this might be a good way to wash it if it works...???

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2018, 02:36:51 PM »
That's a good tip for putting the sand in. I'll have a hunt for a bottle that I can use (in the house).

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2018, 07:41:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Well I managed to get 'Day 1' completed as planned... see photos below  :fishy1:

I ended up not going with the path down the middle of the aquascape after some thought... I always preferred my 64 litre tank without it but the fish preferred it with it - I believe they felt more comfortable out in the open with a choice of hiding spots. I pretty sure that the extra space in the new tank will mean this is no longer an issue. 

I'm looking to get two taller pieces of wood for the left hand side to balance things out a bit.  The difference in the colour of the wood is the old, and new and one unsoaked piece.

There's is a lot of planting substrate floating around and some has escaped the  back section and ended up on the surface of the sand.  I'll have to clean this up tomorrow.  There is sand everywhere too from the filling process too but fortunately no clouding of the water. The sand needs smoothing out and the smaller rocks retrieving from underneath it. I'll need to waft some sand off the decor too.

Tomorrow I will attempt 'day 2' steps but again may not achieve this due to work. It would be good to get some planting done and a few fish moved over even if only half the amount I had previously thought. Fingers crossed for no issues overnight with the tank, filter and heater.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2018, 08:30:10 PM »
I like that layout, and I'mm looking forward to seeing the progress.  8)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2018, 09:38:10 PM »
Looking good so far.  :cheers:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2018, 11:32:47 PM »
It's looking really good. Can't wait to see your planting.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2018, 04:09:54 AM »
Thank you everyone!!  :cheers:

I really hope I don't regret the decision to change the layout at the last minute... The sofa is over to the left of the tank so by having it clearer on that side I will be able to see more from where I sit. It seemed like the logical thing to do.  I'm wondering about moving one rock into the wood a bit mor to create more height (but not sure if it will look like it's missing from below if I do), but Im very happy with it.

I can't help thinking I'm going to need a lot of plants!! There's a lot of aquasoil to cover - that said there is a lot of sand too... I can't believe how much floor area there is :yikes:

I checked the tank this morning and it was nicely to temperature just a little tweak required to match the exisitng tank and everything was running ok.  ;D. So I should be OK to keep progressing things after work.

There is a Maidenhead Aquatics on route to my morning meeting so I will take my 'lunch break' at MA and see what I can find 're wood and plants.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2018, 03:35:11 PM »
May I also be so bold as to suggest you may want to have a look here for items that you won't find at MA
http://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Matt's 220 litre Aquaoak"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
169 Replies
Last post February 17, 2020, 07:58:15 PM
by Littlefish
76 Replies
Last post July 24, 2016, 06:57:06 PM
by Fiona
20 Replies
Last post August 14, 2018, 10:08:36 PM
by fcmf
79 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 08:30:06 PM
by Matt
Matt's pond

Started by Matt « 1 2 3 » Gallery Showcase

40 Replies
Last post July 19, 2023, 12:14:44 PM
by fcmf
27 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 07:28:40 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 11:31:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: