Building Storage For Fish Tanks - Littlefish

Author Topic: Building storage for fish tanks - Littlefish  (Read 4580 times) 9 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Building storage for fish tanks - Littlefish
« on: February 12, 2017, 12:25:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I realised that reinforcing existing storage for some tanks was not ideal, as things ended up where they could go rather than exactly where I wanted them.  :-\
I also realised that some storage could house upgraded tanks, if it were only a few centimetres wider.  >:(
This made me think that if I ordered furniture panels I could build storage units to utilise the space that I have to take the most/largest tanks possible.  :)
Out of the larger DIY stores only 1 seemed to be able to supply them, and offered on-line ordering with home delivery. I placed the order over a week ago and the delivery was booked for yesterday. I was getting quite excited. Unfortunately, the day before delivery I had a call to say that they couldn't get the panels, nobody stocked them, it would take at least a month to order some in, and they best thing to do would be to speak to customer services to get a refund.
 >:(
Anyway, after calming down, I decided to go to Argos, buy several flat-pack bookcases, and use those furniture panels instead. It works out more expensive, and doesn't give me exactly what I want, but it will do.
I've made a start today, and I'm hoping that this is the final few weeks of chaos before things start to settle down.
I have just finished the tv/dvd/125L tank thingy. Picture is a bit dark, but you can get the gist of it.
The tank if further forward than the shelf bit, so plenty of room to take off the lid. There is also just enough room behind it to get to the plug sockets at the side of the axolotl tank.
Phew, this is quite hard work,but it's time to get on with the rest.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: Building storage for fish tanks - Littlefish
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 04:17:22 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I like it. :D  A nice creative solution and more tanks!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »
I've had quite a productive afternoon, but have now run out of bracing brackets and panels.
Looks like things will have to stop until I can get to a DIY store tomorrow for more bits, and perhaps go shopping for another bookcase.
 :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:16:42 PM »
This all sounds a very exciting project - keep up the productive work and keep us posted on developments.

I was just thinking of you yesterday as I got tempted by these http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pseudomugil-furcatus/in the LFS, until I looked at this profile on the SF website and saw that they needed hard water. Maybe a future species for you, though?  ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 06:53:35 PM »
I had seen one of the pseudomugil sp. in an SF article on temperature, but the one you've mentioned is even more spectacular. Wow. I think I may be considering them for a future tank - and this is why I can't stop buying tanks - too many lovely fish.  :-[

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 09:00:53 PM »
I was just thinking of you yesterday as I got tempted by these http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pseudomugil-furcatus/in the LFS, until I looked at this profile on the SF website and saw that they needed hard water. Maybe a future species for you, though?  ;)

I believe the seriouslyfish profile is incorrect for this fish.  This fish is recommended as a good companion for the peacock goby as they come from the same streams in Papua New Guinea yet the hardness range for these fish don't overlap on the website.  Building up my PNG biotope I'm putting these fish together so researched further.  I believe the actual hardness range for this fish is around 5 - 12 dKH as that is the range given by breeders and sellers.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 10:31:24 PM »

I believe the seriouslyfish profile is incorrect for this fish.  This fish is recommended as a good companion for the peacock goby as they come from the same streams in Papua New Guinea yet the hardness range for these fish don't overlap on the website.  Building up my PNG biotope I'm putting these fish together so researched further.  I believe the actual hardness range for this fish is around 5 - 12 dKH as that is the range given by breeders and sellers.

I've just checked Fishbase www.fishbase.org/summary/10530 and, indeed, that's in line with what you say, @marquismirage - thanks for pointing that out.

Edited to add: I'll try contacting SF to alert them to the error - am sure they'll appreciate being able to rectify it.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 11:12:55 PM »
No problem, seriouslyfish is a great website so one mistake is allowed.  :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 07:43:45 AM »
By 'eck, Donna, you've been busy. It's lookin' good.

I've spent very little time on fishy stuff lately and far more time on chicken stuff, making sure I comply with the avian flu restrictions and making sure the chooks are happy and healthy. There's a rumour that the restrictions are going to be extended until April 28th in Wales (nothing official yet) so I'll have to do some more building work outside to give them more room. It's all a bit of a nuisance, really. *sigh*

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »
The building work is ongoing, and I have all the several cuts and bruises to show for it. Another trip to the diy store is scheduled for today, and I hope to get the majority of the building finished on the weekend. I currently have fish tanks all over the place, so it will be nice to get some order back.

@ColinB I hope that your chickens are ok. It must be quite stressful for both you and them during the restrictions.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Building storage for fish tanks - Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
20 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 02:51:03 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 02:00:27 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 10:37:41 AM
by Richard W
102 Replies
Last post July 13, 2016, 02:04:47 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post November 11, 2016, 07:32:10 AM
by Matt
24 Replies
Last post December 23, 2016, 03:02:04 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 09:02:14 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: