See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Need To Buy A New Tank - Need Recommendations

Author Topic: Need to buy a new tank - need recommendations  (Read 861 times)

Offline Nan

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Need to buy a new tank - need recommendations
« on: April 13, 2019, 03:51:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi. I've had fish for years, but recently moved to the UK from the USA and had to leave all but my tiny 5 gallon tank behind. It is now home to a rapidly-expanding swarm of albinor corys, so it's time to upgrade.  ;D I am  looking to start up another tank here (60 to 70 litre, nothing huge) and am unfamiliar with almost all of the brands of tanks on offer at the shops. (They're a lot more expensive here, too!)

I want a glass tank, a traditional one (no curved edges). I prefer a minimal cover, not one of the big rounded ones. It will be sitting on an exceptionally sturdy, reinforced table so I don't want one of those MDF-board cabinets that they keep trying to sell me at the petshops.  I'll be using an in-tank filter, not one of the drip-from-the-lid ones.  The Fluval tanks are lovely, but I don't want to have to deal with the in-tank filter system (etc.) when it fails. Just want a traditional 4-glass-walls tank. With a lid, preferably, although I can always get a pane of glass cut to cover. I am wanting something of good quality that won't break the bank.

I found a few that seem to tick off all the boxes, but know nothing about the quality of the tanks. Can anyone advise, or recommend one of these or some other brand?

Ciano Aqua60
Juwel Primo 60 or 70
Tetra AquaArt (have seen some reviews about the lighting being exposed to moisture and failing early?)
Tetra Starter Line (54 or 80 litre)
Aqual One (76 litre)
 EHEIM aquastar 54 LED

Thanks so much!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
Re: Need to buy a new tank - need recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 04:08:05 PM »
Have you considered the Eheim aquapro LED tank? The 84 litre version has the same footprint as some smaller tanks (60 x 40 cm) and it does not have a filter in the hood but instead uses the Eheim aquaball filter. I used these for many years till I got my 180 litre tank and changed to the similar Eheim Biopower.
https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/aquariums/starter-kits/aquaproled

I can't find any reviews though.

I used to have a 54 litre Eheim aquastar back when they used fluorescent lights, which meant a much taller lid than the LED tanks. The only reason I got rid of it was that we altered the kitchen and there was no longer any place for it to go  :'(
The only downside I could find to my old tank was that it may have been called a 54 litre tank, but that was the amount of air it displaced not the volume of water it could hold. The quoted volume included the thickness of the glass and the gap above the water. This seems to be a common feature of modern tank manufacturers.

Offline Nan

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 04:18:24 PM »
Had not seen the Aquapro, will check it out. Thanks.

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 08:29:56 AM »
There's quite a good range on Amazon from all manner of suppliers, with reviews and all sorts. Might save a bit of digging around too   :cheers:

Fish Community Creator Tanks - Assess Tankmate Suitability Tool
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 10:08:00 AM »
Also take a look at https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aquarium-accessories/aquarium-tanks-and-cabinets where, in the menu bar on the LHS, you can narrow down choices by all sorts of factors including size of tank, etc.

Offline Nan

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 11:25:06 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi. I have no problem locating the tanks, thanks, but am looking for personal recommendations from people who have used them. :wave:

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 04:50:30 PM »
Ah right - gotcha.

I have a Hagen Marina 54-litre.  However, these are no longer manufactured, so I probably wouldn't recommend purchasing one for that very reason.  You mention a couple of size variations of one of the tanks - if there's any scope for the bigger version, then go for that. I'm not sure if any of the tanks you mention have bow fronts but I have also read reviews about bow-fronted tanks being more prone to springing leaks, so possibly best to avoid if you have that option.

Offline Nan

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 06:16:07 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not a bit fan of bow-fronts. Some of the tanks I saw with wrap-around glass (only two vertical seams instead of four) were touted as being less likely to leak, but I really don't like the look of them at all. I'm really just wanting an old-fashioned rectangular tank, maybe two-foot, absolutely no more than a three-footer. Something I don't have to worry about blowing a seam out in the middle of the night or when I'm out of town.

I really don't want much over 60 to 70 litres, but it seems like the choices are few at that size and then the next "usual" size is 125L. That is really too big for me. For many years I had a 10 US-gallon tank and was happy with it. I'm now running a little 5 US gallon tank - thought I was going to get a betta and ended up with corys. And more corys. I changed the water yesterday and there are now MORE cory eggs! (Obviously there's nothing wrong with the water!)

The 5 gallon tank will be recycled to be a hospital or nursery tank. We are in rented accommodation and the floor in the living room is laminate and a bit springy, so I don't want to put too much weight on it in a small area. And, while I really do enjoy the fish, I don't want to have to maintain a huge bathtub of a tank.  ;)  It's going to be heavily planted and sparsely populated. (Mostly by corys, at this rate!)

I do have an aquarium book from the 1940s that has plans for build-your-own models. (My father was seriously into the hobby and built at least one of the ones we had when I was a child.) I could do that, but would rather not as I don't have the tools and by the time I assembled a tank it would cost as much for tools and supplies as just purchasing one pre-fab'd. That would have a warranty.

Which leads me to:  Do you know any websites that rate tanks? The only ones I found were affiliated with Amazon marketing (when I checked the fine print) and the makers of some of the tanks.  Is there an unbiased hobbiest-based review website anywhere?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 08:18:03 PM »
Try Practical Fishkeeping magazine. I've read reviews on their website, though looking for them is not easy....

Offline Nan

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 10:19:08 AM »
Try Practical Fishkeeping magazine. I've read reviews on their website, though looking for them is not easy....

Thanks!

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today! We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.
See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Need to buy a new tank - need recommendations"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post February 03, 2014, 08:05:30 AM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post March 23, 2018, 02:33:19 PM
by Hampalong
9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2015, 11:58:19 AM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 12:45:25 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 08:51:06 AM
by Sue
33 Replies
Last post November 27, 2018, 07:26:34 PM
by jaypeecee
10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2019, 04:50:47 PM
by daveyng

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: