Ciano40 Filter

Author Topic: Ciano40 Filter  (Read 3189 times) 6 replies

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Ciano40 Filter
« on: March 18, 2020, 08:34:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Having purchased a new tank (aqua 20) with a ciano40 filter included, I set it up for my betta fish. It looks great, functions well enough given the price (£40) and has been fine apart from one minor user error with the filter.

However, speaking of the filter, it is quite an aggressive flow rate despite having a fancy “spray bar” which isn’t great given it’s for a betta fish and it’s so powerful it’s moving the sand around at the bottom of the tank! Is there any way to adjust the flow rate??

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Otocinclus (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Cardinal Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Ciano40 Filter
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 08:39:01 PM »
There are things you can do, but they tend not to look very pretty. Something like a pop bottle with the edns cut off slid over the spray bar would help - that shouldn't need a 2 litre bottle, something a lot smaller would work for a spray bar.
Or rotate the spray bar so it's pointing at the tank wall.

Another alternative would be to use a sponge filter driven by an air pump instead. I have an Aqua One FilterAir in my betta's tank, and these have a hollow core which the say can be filled with carbon but could be used for mature media. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aqua-One-FilterAir-30-60-136-Aeration-Filter-Sponge-Weighted-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-/401560507885 - mine is the 30, which is plenty big enough.
You'd also need an air pump, some airline tubing if the pump doesn't come with any and a non-return valve to stop water sucking back into the pump.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 08:42:46 PM »
I don't know those filters, but I do have a lot of experience with dealing with flow rate because of my axolotls.
If there isn't a switch/dial/lever on the filter to alter flow rate there are still a few things that you can do to help reduce the flow:
Increase the width of the holes in the spray bar (scissors, screwdriver, whatever, but please be careful)
Point the spray bar towards the side of the tank rather than into the middle of the tank
Push the filter lower into the water and point the spay bar slightly upwards so most of the flow is aimed at the surface of the water
Wrap spray bar on a thin layer of coarse filter media or clean fabric (muslin cloth or similar) to baffle the flow

Let us know how you get on.

Best of luck.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 08:46:11 PM »
but please be careful

You don't want a trip to A & E at the moment!

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 09:11:16 PM »
My thoughts are that tomorrow I’ll go back to the shop and ask to exchange the filter given that it was marketed for Bettas and so should not be so harsh. If that fails, are there any relatively cheap alternatives I could get?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Otocinclus (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Cardinal Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 09:13:47 PM »
Another alternative would be to use a sponge filter driven by an air pump instead. I have an Aqua One FilterAir in my betta's tank, and these have a hollow core which the say can be filled with carbon but could be used for mature media. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aqua-One-FilterAir-30-60-136-Aeration-Filter-Sponge-Weighted-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-/401560507885 - mine is the 30, which is plenty big enough.
You'd also need an air pump, some airline tubing if the pump doesn't come with any and a non-return valve to stop water sucking back into the pump.

Or this
https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/aqua-range-aqua-internal-50-filter

The spray bar option has a knob to turn the flow rate down. The media are a sponge and carbon in a hollow in the sponge. Throw the carbon out. Either use all mature media; half new sponge and half old media, or stfuff some old media in the space where the carbon was. The only downside is that the suckers are not replaceable so when they go hard and no longer stick to the glass, you have to buy a new filter. I used to have one in my betta's tank but the betta I had then liked to sleep on it and he was continually knocking it off the glass  ::)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 10:20:34 PM »
This issue is very much on my radar as I have some elderly fish, who have been struggling with the filter in the main tank, and some have been transferred to my small 17L hospital/quarantine tank.

Some options are:
* Eheim Mini Up (25-30L) ;
* Dennerle Nano Corner filter (10-40L);
* JBL Cristal Profi greenline Matten filter;
* Fluval Mini (up to 45L);
* Aquael Fan Mikro Plus or Mini Plus.

As the filter which came with the 17L tank is very temperamental, I bought an Eheim Pick-Up 45 (larger than the one I mention above) which was certainly absolutely fine for the cardinal tetras during their month's quarantine. I had read very favourable reviews about the Dennerle filter and in fact made an impulse purchase the other day (Pro-Shrimp had sold out and I got it via Aquarium Gardens) to see if it might have an even gentler flow as I expect the elderly fish may be living in the hospital tank long-term - however, I haven't set it up yet.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ciano40 Filter"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
by biffster
4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 08:06:38 AM
by deano79
8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 02:03:51 PM
by SteveS
5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2016, 05:47:53 PM
by jalot
2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2018, 03:00:31 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
by sharpandroid

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: