Gravel Cleaning Syphon

Author Topic: Gravel cleaning syphon  (Read 3499 times) 7 replies

Offline Silksheen

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Gravel cleaning syphon
« on: August 22, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I tried a new fish shop the other day. I know some of you may know of this gadget but while looking around the shop I noticed an assistant dabbing this plastic tube up and down in the gravel of one of the display tanks, enquiring to what it was, its a syphon gravel cleaner cleans the sediment from the gravel. That's a good idea never seen it before do you sell them? Yes he said different sizes depending on the tank. The great thing is as my tank is a small one I could only use a coffee mug to empty water takes ages. Tried the syphon it primes itself, worked great cleaning the gravel, had to be careful it emptied half the tank in half a minute.

And once again the tank and water is crystal clear.

Mike

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Gravel cleaning syphon
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
I used one for years when I had gravel. They are really good as they suck the muck right out of the gravel. You can watch the bits floating upwards. The type that you shake up and down to start are harder to get used to but easier to use once you get the hang of them.
I also found that the betta's 25 litre tank was half empty by the time I'd finished.

I've got sand in all my tanks now and you clean those differently as all the muck sits on top of the sand.

Offline gummy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:20:51 AM »
hi Sue, may i ask how you clean your sand, i have sand and find it hard to stop sucking all the sand up the tube

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »
The technique is to hover the end of the tube about half an inch above the sand and make tiny swirling motions to make the muck float a bit and it goes straight up the tube. I started using an ordinary siphon tube but didn't like the wide bit on the end so took it off and just used the tubing. Then decided that was too short and 'rescued' the siphon tube from an old wine making kit in the attic, which is longer and narrower. I start the siphon by filling the tube under the tap, carrying the full tube to the tank and with a thumb over each end I lower one into the tank and the other into the bucket. The other alternative is to suck the tube to get the water flowing  :sick:
As for the sand I suck up, I empty the bucket carefully, wash the sand in the bucket under the tap and put it back in the tank. The tiny amount of undechlorinated water that goes in with it won't do any harm.

Offline Silksheen

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention is when prodding around with the syphon it naturally stirred up the sediment making the water very cloudy, poor old fish must have been like a suffocating smog. I don't know if it can do any harm to the fish despite being careful. After fitting a new foam filter and topping up the tank the water was clear again after a couple of hours. They must be hardy, very lively so far. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:43:56 PM »
Do you have just gravel on the bottom or is there a plant substrate underneath? If it's just gravel, then it's just the fish poo, uneaten food etc that's collected in the gravel. There is a slight chance that kicking up this sediment can cause an ammonia spike, so keep your eyes on that for a few days after it happens.

Offline Silksheen

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »
The plants are imitation, with just gravel. The barbell's seem to be very hyper active at the moment. Putting on some great fishyobatic displays. They go mad at breakfast time which would suggest to me they are happy and healthy hopefully.

Offline gummy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »
Do you have just gravel on the bottom or is there a plant substrate underneath? If it's just gravel, then it's just the fish poo, uneaten food etc that's collected in the gravel. There is a slight chance that kicking up this sediment can cause an ammonia spike, so keep your eyes on that for a few days after it happens.

torch and goggles  :fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Gravel cleaning syphon"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post December 28, 2016, 03:36:52 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post December 28, 2016, 03:30:00 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2017, 06:38:21 PM
by Lee2Gould
7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2017, 06:49:35 PM
by Cod_only_knows
5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2019, 11:49:48 AM
by jaypeecee
10 Replies
Last post May 25, 2019, 06:39:27 PM
by Nan
9 Replies
Last post March 12, 2021, 10:30:30 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: