Author Topic: Hornwort and other plant issues  (Read 8548 times) 23 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Hornwort and other plant issues
« on: September 30, 2016, 07:27:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have split the topic in the Items for Sale or Giveaway section as it was going off topic. As fcmf's post was the first post after the split, it is showing that she started the post. I am also moving the split section to Fish Tank Plant Advice and changing the title to Hornwort and other plants issues

Sue

I have some Seachem Flourish coming in the mail today so I'm hoping for even better plant performance in the future.
I haven't been using anything for my plants, although I notice that they've been faring a little better since I reduced the length of time the lights are on for. I've been a bit nervous about introducing more chemicals to the tank other than what's in my dechlorinator - but, if using something for plants, would this be the best option?

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
Re: Hornwort and other plant issues
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 09:35:21 PM »
My first dose went in tonight @fcmf , will update you on my progress. I'll do 24 hour ammonia and nitrate tests for the next few days as a precaution.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 08:04:05 AM »
Paddy, I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest danger with products like Excel, Easy-Carbo and the like is suffocation through overdosing. If you see any of your fish gasping at the surface, do an immediate water change and reduce your dosing level.

I've been using Colombo Flora-grow Carbo for over a year without any issues. Plant growth is very strong when I dose, and it noticeable tailed off when I went on holiday for 2 weeks. They are also algaecides and will reduce the algae in your tank. 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 09:12:37 AM »
Is it a robust plant? I have just started up a large Cichlid tank which is low light hardscaped at present but I was wondering about a bit of greenery with some very localised lighting.
Regards Andy

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 09:41:32 AM »
Hornwort is a stem plant - a stem with lots of needle shaped leaves. The stems themselves are easily broken. And the plants doesn't root in the substrate so the cichlids could pull it up. However, it can also be twisted round decor to anchor it, or used as a floating plant.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »
Seachem Flourish is a trace mineral fertiliser, often referred to as Seachem Flourish Comprehensive to distinguish it from other Flourish products (the bottle says Flourish...comprehensive supplement for...). It "does not contain significant levels of nitrogen or phosphorus". This is the one I use.
Since soft water contains few minerals of any type it can also be used during fishless cycling in soft water to boost the mineral content.

Seachem Flourish Excel is the 'liquid carbon' product, which is supposed to replace the need for CO2. As it contains glutaralgehyde, I don't use this one. Some people report it causing problems with shrimps and otos.

Seachem also make Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphorus and Flourish Potassium supplements and Flourish Tabs.

So many products, all called Flourish  ;D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 03:33:41 PM »
Think im going to give easylife profito (basically a cheaper version of flourish) a go along with attempting to remember to dose more regularly easy carbo of I can't get my plants to survive.

I'm starting to think that my softwater is not giving the plants what they need as the hormwort @Sue kindly sent me is loosing needles  :(   Do those out there that also struggle with plants have softwater?

I am successful with anubias, java moss, crypts (I think) and swords.  This in turn makes me wonder if my lights are bright enough, plqnts in any kind of shade also seem to struggle...  so frustrating  :yikes:

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 03:45:35 PM »
Hornwort does lose needles, it's when it does this to extreme you need to worry. And it may have been affected by getting cold in the post.

I have read on another forum that with soft water and fishless cycling, adding a micro-nutrient fertiliser helps with bacterial growth as it puts minerals into the water. Looking up Easylife Profito, that seems to contain micro-nutrients so it should help with plants.

Years ago I got a couple of nice looking rocks from Maidenhead Aquatics. I got up the next morning to find a cloudy tank and a lot of totally bald hornwort stems. It took ages to hoover the needles out of the tank. I tested the rocks in buckets of water and one went cloudy very quickly - it didn't go back in the tank. Whatever it was in the rock didn't agree with hornwort.
This proves that hornwort can be a bit iffy when certain things get in the tank but this was the only time I've had this sort of defoliation.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 04:27:46 PM »
Do those out there that also struggle with plants have softwater?
I am successful with anubias, java moss, crypts (I think) and swords.  This in turn makes me wonder if my lights are bright enough, plqnts in any kind of shade also seem to struggle...  so frustrating  :yikes:
Yes, @Matt - I struggle and I've got very soft water. I'll update my thread accordingly with my observations of what I'm finding is/isn't working - but I think having the lights on for reduced time (no more than 10 hrs) is a key factor in my more recent success.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 04:35:36 PM »
Mine also are on a timer for 10 hours, glad I'm getting that right  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 05:01:26 PM »
Mine also are on a timer for 10 hours, glad I'm getting that right  :cheers:

Who knows what factors are involved, though - your water isn't quite as soft as mine, so it's possible that there's a different magic number for you in terms of plant-keeping, so it might even be worth experimenting by reducing/increasing that by an hour or two, just to see if it makes any difference.

I've updated my thread, if that helps at all.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 08:24:46 PM »
I've struggled with several plants in my hard water. Sometimes certain plants will grow in one tank, but not in another. Sometimes they will die off, but then I try them again a few months later and they are fine (Vallis, I'm looking at you as I type this). Frogbit does particularly well in my betta and panda cory tank, possibly because there is nothing in that tank that eats the roots (v. platies, I'm looking at you).
Some plants do prefer harder or softer water, but the information does not seem to be readily available. It was only recently I found that the water hyacinth I kept buying for my tanks prefers soft water, so the last batch now lives in a tub of rainwater in the garden, and all pieces have sprouted new leaves (may have to move tub into growhouse over winter though).
My lights are not on timers, so get switched on early evening. Even with just around 5 hours of light some plants are growing like weeds, others are just surviving.
I admit that it's possible that I have no idea what I'm doing.  :-\

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 08:53:03 PM »
Totally agree that there is a lack of and also a lot of conflicting information about plants preferences in respect to water hardness, I've also heard that plant secrete different chemicals which inhibit the growth of other species but this is not well understood scientifically speaking at present.

I suppose I should apologies for having got frustrated before, its plants which are supposed to be indestructible and or grow like weeds for everyone else then slowly die in my tank which frustrate me.

I'm going to compare how the hornwort grows in a shaded are against some I've put in the open as my next thing... though it was floating most of last week so not sure this will make significant difference...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 09:13:36 PM »
@Matt those of us quite new to live plants are all in the same situation.
I have anubias sp. and java fern in my axolotl tanks which appear to have not moved/grown for several months, when they were specifically bought as being good for cold water tanks where it is difficult to plant into a substrate, and yet when desperate for some large plants in those tanks I bought a couple of amazon swords and tied them to decor, and they have grown new plants on runners which I have recently planted in my tiger barb tank. An axolotl owner on the caudata forum I use has had a lot of success with the more unusual tropical plants that I've only managed to grow in my warmest tanks, and even then some of my plants have not survived.
It's probably alot more complicated than we realise.  ???

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 09:15:41 PM »
Substrate seems very important. I've changed from a fine gravel to Colombo Florabase. It's still early days (tank has been set up about 3 weeks), but the plants look really healthy. The Crypts are recovering from their initial melt and are now growing well. The stem plants are also going well too. Lights are on for 8 hours to minimise algae. No problems so far.

Thanks for clearing up the Seachem misunderstanding Sue. You'd think they'd give them some different names!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 09:19:50 AM »
I use some sort of liquid CO² but not sure what type. No fish seem to be suffering g as I only put 1 pipette in per day or two. My lights are on for a 6 hour timer and the anubias and some grassy plane that dad gave me from his tank are flourishing. Check TFkeepers daily news for pics coming soon

Apache6467

Offline Richard W

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 10:23:21 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I've said this here before many times but I'll say it again, put a layer of soil under gravel and your plants will thrive. Stock up with enough fish to provide plenty of carbon dioxide, they are the best and most interesting source. I've had tanks like this for 3 years now, minimum maintenance, plants grow like crazy, fish healthy and happy. It costs very little in money and time. Let the fish poo sink into the gravel, that's plenty of fertiliser. Of course, if you obsessively vacuum the gravel and change 25% of the water every week, you are going to be doing a lot of work and will then have to replace the nutrients you are removing. Apart from topping up, I haven't changed water for three months or more, I have no problems with fish health whatsoever, they are all lively, brightly coloured, eating like pigs and thriving. In those three years, the only additive I have used is water conditioner. Filter maintenance is the only regular task, apart from feeding. I have to remove excess plant growth rather than try to encourage the plants to grow.

The tanks I set up with sand are not as good, the fish poo simply lies on top, doesn't sink in and has to be removed. I'm changing those around this winter and will replace sand with gravel. The gravel will again be lime-free horticultural grit from the garden centre at a fraction of the cost of "aquarium" gravel, which is basically the same stuff in smaller bags at an extortionate price. In the sand tanks, I presently have large pieces of bogwood on  which Java Fern, Java Moss, hornwort, Anubias and Hygrophila polysperma all do very well tied on, not rooted in the substrate. There is plenty of oxygen for their roots in the water which is lacking in sand, another reason to prefer gravel. I've not seen any difference in Corydoras health in sand over gravel, they don't seem to mind either way.

Algae are much more likely to be due to excess nutrients rather than light. Cutting back on light is more likely to slow your plant growth rather than reduce algae. Fast growing plants use the nutrients and outcompete the algae and so you want your plants growing strongly.

Any plant will grow in hardish water, given suitable substrate, but hard water plants will not thrive in soft water. I think the advertising authorities should ban "liquid carbon dioxide" as a description, it really isn't true. Most plants will use bicarbonate ions, naturally present in hard water, and any cheap source of bicarbonate would do as well as the commercially promoted expensive stuff.

To quote Diana Walstad again :
"…..... there is little to be gained from restricting the nutrient levels in the aquarium by underfeeding fish, changing water frequently, and cleaning gravel, but then adding it all back as plant fertilizers.(Sounds like a lot of work to me.)"

Apologies to those who have heard all of this from me before, but I know there are a lot of new people on the forum.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 12:28:06 PM »
Although not new to the forum, I an relatively new to having live plants in my tanks, so happy to read any advice by more experienced people.
Thanks @Richard W , less tank cleaning is always welcome, with the number of tanks I have.  :)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 12:31:40 PM »
But you have to be sure your tank is set up properly before you cut back on vacuuming and water changing. It's really a completely different approach to tank management, it's not quite "all or nothing" but near.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »
Indeed - very valuable to have @Richard W 's input and expertise again and helpful summary. It does help "take stock" of the situation again.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hornwort and other plant issues"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 08:38:35 AM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post July 11, 2016, 08:18:36 PM
by fcmf
17 Replies
Last post December 29, 2016, 09:14:11 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2016, 11:19:21 AM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post November 03, 2018, 10:41:26 AM
by Matt
17 Replies
Last post October 25, 2020, 02:34:24 PM
by Fishbeard
10 Replies
Last post June 23, 2022, 06:01:07 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: