Author Topic: Plant die-off  (Read 21525 times) 57 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Plant die-off
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 03:19:18 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
oh no, Jesnon :( Hope you find your shrimpy ok

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »
Natalia - as a chemistry graduate I was used to writing in a very technical way. Then I became 'editor' (ie I wrote it) of the Neighbourhood Watch magazine and at first found it difficult writing as though I was talking to the readers. Some of the articles in the early days read more like a technical manual. So I do understand what you mean.
Now I've gone the other way, I don't write precisely enough  :-[

On a slightly different topic - has anyone had problems with aquarist classifieds? I have read warnings not to use the site because of trojans. I have used it in the past with no problems, but not being very computer literate I'm wary of going there now. Is there any way I can check before entering the site? Norton doesn't find anything, but that's not proof to me.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 11:52:10 AM »
oh no, Jesnon :( Hope you find your shrimpy ok

Unfortunately it's not looking too good. I did a water change earlier and moved all the decor around and I still can only spot 3 shrimps, half the number I started with  :(

I think one of the indicators of a happy shrimp is that they do not hide all the time (some hiding is perfectly normal) but swim around freely when they feel like it – with all fish around. Happy shrimps just go about their business completely ignoring the fish or even (like mine often do) treating the fish in the same way as plants or decor – just “something on their way” (mine regularly land on the fish using them as a sort of “landing point” or an object convenient to be on at the moment for whatever reason – mainly getting closer to food).

Hi Jesnon, Hmm, maybe Endlers are not so angelic, indeed. Since I kept Guppies as I child, I sort of went “done this before” when I returned to fish keeping later on, so I never had Guppies or related Endlers... I don’t know but they may be prone to hunting down shrimps' babies as well (they are quick so they have a good chance). So, maybe some fluffy real or artificial plant will help... Another thought – when you go to get some more shrimps, it is good to try to get them from some local aquarium enthusiast selling them rather than a shop – they will be born in a water similar to yours and not shipped from far away (as many LFS’s ones are). Aquarist classified, Ebay – have a look if there is anything available.

Natalia your description of shrimp using fish as landing spots - ha! This is where I'm a little confused as my shrimp do honestly seem very happy. The reason I can easily spot when one has gone missing is because they don't often hide and if I sit long enough in front of the tank I can usually find them all - they seem to really like hanging out together most of the time, and will swim around quite happily and never seem to really take any notice of the fish. They seem really attached to two of my artificial plants as they're always resting on the leaves, and especially love to hide inbetween some of the leaves.

One odd thing I've noticed with my shrimp who's developed the saddle is that she keeps swimming eratically upside down!? She seems happy otherwise, but every now and then she dashes about upside down throughout the tank, especially around my algae magnet. Not really sure if this is normal shrimp behaviour or not! Perhaps since she's got eggs she's searching for a male shrimp.

When you say fluffy plants - what kind of fluffy plant do you think I could grow OK in my low light setup? I do have quite a few plants in there now, I've got the two large artificial plants that my shrimp love, one moss ball, a big java fern I've put on one of my rocks, the 'pronged' java fern (I can't remember what it's official name is!) which is on both of my bog wood (though I might give one of the bits up as a bad job on one of them as it just will not stay put!) and then another plant near the front of my tank that I've completely forgotten the name of. No fluffy plants though as you say! My tank is looking a little full these days, but if I won't kill off the plant too easily and it might help my shrimpies then I'm happy to make some changes (I think since you're so good at aquascaping and with plants Natalia you would probably look at my poor tank and cry, it's not very well set up these days!)

I've never thought to buy locally to be honest. I know one of my LFS tends to buy off of local breeders rather than ship in, and I always assumed because the MA is just down the road our water would be very similar but as you say they probably aren't bred here. I'll have to investigate whether I can get some RCS locally. The idea of postal orders when it comes to fish and shrimp still confuses me though!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 11:03:20 PM »
Hi Jesnon and Sue,
Sue – I am glad you understand what I mean. I certain style of writing sort of “sticks” to you...
I have not had a problem with aquarist classifieds, to be honest. Only that here is an amazing number of fraudsters lurking there, it seems. They even issued a warning about that – people offering to buy from you stating they are located in, say, Portugal... and asking for your account details “to send the fund to”... I always just deleted these emails not answering (as the warning from AC suggested). Otherwise I did not have any problems.
P.S. I hope your floaters are recovering in spite of the real summer we are having now!
Jesnon – I think you tank has quite a few of live plants which is really good. There is no “fluffy” plant I can immediately think of which will do well in your tank. I am thinking that once grown a little bit, you baby shrimps have enough hideaways already; it is just the new born ones I am worried about. They are literally about a millimetre (the same as the developed eggs on your girlie shrimps). So, I would think, adding a little artificial plant (only a small one) will provide the hiding place for the smallest of the shrimps offspring. Otherwise you are fully prepared for “teenage” shrimplets. The plant has to be really fine – I am thinking like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Artificial-Plastic-Plants-Aquarium-Ornament/dp/B0052WGDJS/ref=sr_1_14/275-0671952-8305750?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1373144092&sr=1-14&keywords=aquarium+plants+plastic
I remember I saw something like this in an LFS – just a bunch of fluffy twigs. Only one or two will do in you tank – I remember they were very cheap. You just need a little bit, I think...
Swimming erratically and upside down is perfectly normal for shrimps. I cannot say if this is because they are searching for partners or whatever but they do this often enough that I am not worried about it. The reason I suggested to buy locally is that the shrimps will be born in water very similar to yours and will not have the stress of being brought from another continent for sale. To my experience, shrimps bought from people locally often look pale (not that nice as in shops) but adapt quicker and survival rate is much higher. And they do colour up in time. One more thing – cherry shrimps are brighter when you have a darker substrate. They change their colour to “match” the environment and they look much paler on white sand then on black gravel – the darker the substrate, the brighter are the Cherries.

Offline Sue

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »
The small clump of Salvinia that survived is still alive. During the night I leave the feeding flaps open slightly; but during the day, with the temperatures at the moment, I have them fully open. Hopefully no fish will decide to jump out.......

I definitely have four cherry shrimps, 2 adults and 2 juveniles, as I have seen all four at once. There may be others as well. You can only be certain of the number visible at any one time. Since they are out and about, these four must be reasonable happy with their tank mates.
I do have plastic plants similar to the one in the link. I've found newly hatched pygmy cories under one spherical plant (think moss ball shape but plastic) so if the cories can survive in/under those plants, they should be OK for newly hatched cherries as well?

Offline Sue

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »
Good news on the plant front - I now have a lot more salvinia than I managed to save, so it is growing. This is the plant I used to throw in the compost bin on a regular basis to keep it under control. Leaving the flaps open seems to be working.

But on the shrimp front, I'm now down to just three - one berried female and two juveniles. I assume the adult I found dead during the week was a male as I don't think the juveniles are old enough to fertilise eggs yet.

And the missing pack of Beta G - the seller said to wait until last weekend (giving it 2 working weeks to arrive) then let him know if it still hadn't turned up. It didn't so I did, and he refunded the money straight away, no quibbling.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »
Great news Sue on the plant front, sorry to hear about the shrimp though. And good news you got a refund on the Beta G.

Sorry I thought I had already replied to this but obviously got distracted! I think I've seen a similar plastic plant to that in my local Pets at Home so may have to get myself one of those for when my shrimpies potentially have babies. Unfortunately right now I'm down to 3 from the original 6 I started with - the large bright red shrimp, another deep red and the pale girl with the saddle. Since I'm now moving house I won't be buying any more shrimp until after the move when the tank is settle again as keen as I am to get more shrimp! It just seems like the most sensible thing to do for now.

Do you have any recommendations for the best way to move my shrimpies for the 2 - 3 hours of driving and setting up the tank again? Just the idea of it is stressing me out!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »
The only way I can think of is to bag them like fish but in a separate bag from the endlers. You will need to put something in the bag for the shrimps to stand on so either put them in the same bag as your live plants or give them something like a piece of filter wool.

As a last resort with my shrimps, I've put the berried female in one of my home made breeding traps, the one with the very fine lining. She has a plastic spherical plant and a half coconut shell with java fern coming out of the holes in the trap with her. She's been in there a few days now and seems to be OK. My intention is to try and save as many baby shrimps from being eaten as possible.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
I hadn't even thought about them having something to stand on! Will definitely bag them with one of my plants.

Ooh that's not a bad idea Sue - will see what happens once I move!

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »
The problem is "What do you do with them after they are born?"  You can't raise 30-50 baby shrimp in a breeding trap! I'm not really convinced that the baby shrimp will actually stay in the breeding trap; I would expect them to climb out.  The only solutions I can think of are 1) a dedicated small tank or 2) loads and loads of dense plants to provide lots of hiding places.  Given your track record that really boils down to 1) a dedicated tank. But that will cause issues with TOH.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »
It all depends on
1) will the female live long enough for the eggs to hatch. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as the shrimp have all died trying to moult and she shouldn't moult till the eggs have hatched
2) if the eggs do hatch, how many babies will there be and how many will die immediately

He doesn't object too much to temporary additional tanks, quarantining for example. So if I do end up with any baby shrimp I'll set up the QT till they are big enough to go in with endlers and pygmy cories. If any survive long enough. Because I've no idea how long she's been carrying eggs (it takes the light shining through her abdomen in a certain direction to see them) I've no idea how long it'll be before the eggs hatch. I have read 30 days in total, and it's been a week and a bit since I saw the eggs. I'm fully expecting all the babies to die from what's been killing the adults so I didn't want to set up the QT till I knew I had live babies.

Offline Sue

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »
Husband is in a good mood, having had the last week off work (his influence on the weather struck again  ;D ) and he said I could set up the QT provided it is just temporary. So yesterday I set it up. I used some filter media and water from the tank they were in and moved across the spherical plastic plant, another plastic plant and the coconut shell with java fern. All three shrimps are now in the QT.
Fingers crossed the female does carry the eggs till they hatch, and the babies live. I've even put the toe of a knee high sock over the filter just in case  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2013, 03:48:31 PM »
A week later -

One of the juvenile shrimps died during the week, and I found the adult female dead this morning, leaving one juvenile. The adult female corpse did not have any eggs under the abdomen, but I couldn't see any sign of life except for the juvenile shrimp. So I decided to move that one back to the 50 litre and close down the QT.

But being the 'better safe than sorry' type, first I removed all the decor bit by bit, shaking each bit thoroughly in the tank before putting it in the bucket, then I moved the last shrimp - and noticed tiny things moving on the tank bottom. Using airline tubing, I hoovered the muck of the bottom of the tank and realised that besides baby cherry shrimp, I also had baby pygmy cories  :)
I checked the bucket that had the decor in and the bucket I siphoned the water into by decanting it a bit at a time into a small plastic tub, and used a pipette that you get with medication with the thin end trimmed off to catch more babies of both species. Took ages, but it was worth it. I now have about 5 baby cories and around a dozen baby shrimp.

The pygmy cories like the spherical plastic plants for laying eggs in, there must have been eggs on the one I moved to the QT last week. I've put that plant back in the 50 litre tank, and put the other one into the QT. You never know!

Now to go and look up how long it takes for pygmy cory eggs to hatch.........

Edit - 3 to 5 days. So if I swap plants every 5 days, there is a chance of there being some eggs on them.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »
Congrats on the little babies! Shame to hear about your adult and juvenile shrimp though :-( Hopefully if it is an immunity style bacteria problem then raising baby shrimps in your tanks will eradicate your problem as they'll be used to the bacteria in your tank? Or have I made that up!?

Offline Sue

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »
That's what I'm wondering. Only Natalia will know for sure.

I've just had another shrimp death - when I came to feed the fish tonight, I found the female amano in my 125 litre dead. In this case, I wonder if it was her age. I don't know the life expectancy of amano shrimps, but I bought five on 18 Feb 2009 from Maidenhead Aquatics in York (yes I do keep records  ;D ). One died shortly after purchase, one female died last year and the other female died today, leaving 2 males. I presume they are in the tank somewhere; I hardly ever see them, and I haven't found any bodies.

Edit - forgot to mention that I finally had the chance to measure the female amano. She was 2 inches/5cm from nose to tail not counting her antennae.
And I've just seen a male in the tank!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »
Oh no poor amano :-( Definitely sounds like old age to me though at least

Offline Sue

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2013, 08:51:44 PM »
I've just googled it; most sources say amano shrimps (Caridina multidentata) have a life expectancy in captivity of 2 to 3 years, though one website does say up to 4 years. It looks like it was just old age then.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2013, 10:30:37 AM »
That's good news Sue, though still a shame to lose your shrimp at least she had a good old life with you!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Plant die-off"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2014, 02:24:06 AM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 08:44:28 AM
by Richard W
28 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 07:13:43 PM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 10:00:25 AM
by Aquamaid
9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 10:52:13 AM
by Helen
8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 02:42:05 PM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post September 26, 2015, 09:24:29 AM
by Alex_N

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: