Author Topic: Whats up with my Lampeye  (Read 6869 times) 14 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Whats up with my Lampeye
« on: June 03, 2018, 07:34:33 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone i woke up this morning and found my lampeye at the top looking like this and also another one has similar red mark on him but not bloated.

Any ideas what this is  parasite or bacterial as i am not sure how to treat him.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Whats up with my Lampeye
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 08:44:06 AM »
Hi. What are your water conditions and what has changed in the last few days? Ie have you done a water change, what have you fed your fish? And what behaviour is the fish showing?

From the location of the swelling I would suggest that it's not a he, it's a she and there's nothing wrong she's just gravid. But I don't know this species well, so someone else who does should be able to confirm.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:03:06 AM »
How is the fish behaving? Is it still active & eating, or does it seem unwell?
I don;t know the species well either, but just trying to gather information.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 11:04:46 AM »
Thank you both for your replies
The water conditions are fine and we change water twice a weekly as normal. We feed the fish hikari micro pellets as we always have done along with crushed pea every month with crushed flake. I am sorry to say she is not eating either.

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »
I asked because a water change and feeding live or frozen food can cause the fish to start breeding.

Is the swelling just on one side, or all under the fish? It isn't easy to tell from your photo.

Where in the tank is the fish swimming? Is is near the surface, or hiding in plants or resting on the substrate?

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
Hi helen the swelling is all over and now she has the dreaded white stringy poo coming from her. She is hovering just under the surface by the filter but not gasping at the moment.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 11:47:21 AM »
This is the only seriouslyfish entry I can find for a lampeye. Does it look right? How do your water parameters and tank setup compare to that described? If it is at the limits of what this fish likes, they could be slightly stressed and more vulnerable to infection.

Have you had a problem with parasites in your tank relatively recently, or was that someone else?

If you look at it from above, does it look pinecone like? Ie are the scales smooth or sticking out?

It is still possible that she is gravid and ready to spawn. Some fish stop eating immediately before spawning (as a mum, i totally understand not wanting to eat with a bellyfull of babies) and if she's not gasping, the extra oxygen near to surface may just make things a bit more comfortable.

It might be worth doing an extra water change. That could either trigger spawning and relieve the fish that way, or if it is an infection, impeccable water conditions will make it easier for the fish to fight it off.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 11:54:58 AM »
Just about to do a water change and gravel clean now. I had cammalanus worms about 3 months ago but it looks all clear now and no signs at all. I will look at the link after the water change and clean.

Thanks again.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 07:48:46 AM »
Found her or him dead this morning.

Thanks for trying.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »
Sorry for your loss Rustle...

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 10:11:34 AM »
Sorry for your loss Rustle. Looking at your picture of the fish I suspect it could have been dropsy.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 10:23:13 AM »
Sorry to hear your sad news.
How are your other fish?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 10:24:42 AM »
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 10:50:36 AM »
Thank you all @ Dave I think you could be right and I was kind of expecting to lose the lampeyes in the near future because I only had 2 left from six. So I guess it comes down to stress as they need to be in a group of six or more. I came by these fish by accident which is to long to go into now. I guess the last one won't survive much longer now.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 09:51:16 PM »
Sorry to read about this :'( and sorry that I haven't been able to reply before now. Reading back through the thread, though, I don't think a dose of medication (eg eSHa 2000) would have saved the lampeye, though - whatever it was seemed to have been very acute - so hope that is of some consolation, @Rustle.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Whats up with my Lampeye"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 07:47:33 PM
by Rich_D
0 Replies
Last post March 25, 2015, 11:49:36 PM
by Andy1987
13 Replies
Last post June 24, 2016, 09:36:40 AM
by Evolution Stu
6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2018, 04:17:27 PM
by pollydoodle
3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2019, 10:26:37 PM
by Cod_only_knows

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: